Thursday, April 26, 2012

Coromandel Home

I was trying to put some magazines onto shelves yesterday, but then I start flicking through and ultimately decide that they can stay in that handy pile a little longer.
There's something homely and inviting about magazine piles I think....well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Soooo, I came across the following home in the January 2012 NZ House & Garden Magazine.


Rather a stunning site, in Kuaotunu on the Coromandel Peninsula, about 3.5 hours' drive southwest of Auckland. The architect is one of my favourites, Ken Crosson of Crosson Clarke Carnachan Architects, and his own home is nearby overlooking Otama Beach (which I wrote about previously, here):



The owners of the Kuaotunu home bought the property 21 years ago when their children were small. Instead of knocking down the original 40 year old 'bach' (NZ holiday home), Ken 'devised a series of five pavilions that will lend itself  to the way the family was developing...it needed to be able to cope with teenagers who were going to become young adults and have friends and then ultimately their own children'.

The renovation was completed in 2006 and I think it is simply beautiful. I've seen this 'pavilion' concept thrown around by so many architects working with big budgets and some of the results are big concrete and glass boxes. This home 'feels' like a very special place to spend some time.
I love what the architect and family have achieved here.








All images via CCCA.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is simply breath taking! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Annie - this is SO very beautiful. What is the roof shingle? Love it. Timber, concrete or zinc? I can't tell but the profile is very good - such a perfect selection for the lines of the house. How perfectly the house sits in its site, in the first image especially.

    And as for magazines, I keep them in piles, then when I go to throw them out, I find all kinds of wonderful things which I missed the first time. So sometimes it's good to be a hoarder!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the roof just beautiful? It is, according to the article, zinc clad which the owners say they chose for 'its durability and the way it blends with the environment'. I think the scale of the 'shingles' are another beautiful part of this home's architecture. I just love the time and thought that went into the planning of this home. It somehow feels very real and for the owners, not for flash.

      Delete
  3. That view is amazing and so is the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,you have a really nice view,furniture and sites. I love it.


    furniture perth australia

    ReplyDelete