Monday, December 12, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I really didn't have serious seller's remorse about leaving this house....well, not until I had to leave.
The location is fabulous but the house itself is awkward - a large house with only 2 proper bedrooms.
I am however a sop at goodbyes. Airports make me feel ill and I can torture myself with guilt saying goodbye to people, and dare I say, some things even! Hoarder? Me? Oh yeah...


Aren't houses so different when they're empty? Clean and tidy, yes, but some look better furnished, some better empty. The house we have just moved into looks forlorn empty but homely furnished. This house is the opposite - awkward to furnish but quite grand empty. Well, that's what I thought anyway.

So goodbye home and I hope your new owners enjoy you. I took some photos, revelling in how clean and tidy it looked without 'life' going on inside it!

The 'thing' I am most attached to is this silly door. It is a pivot door which tricks people into thinking it's a wall, and leads to the girls' bedrooms downstairs. "Attached" because of the memories of every time the girls had friends over they raced to it and asked their guest if it was a door or a wall. They named it 'The Secret Door'.


It was really quite obstructive and annoying but the memories are sweet all the same!



The stairs behind the glass wall lead (upstairs) to the master bedroom, study and ensuite bathroom and the 'secret door' leads downstairs to the girls' rooms.



I say girls' "rooms" but this was actually one big 'U' shaped space where we had the girls crammed neatly tucked into the two tips of the 'U' and a playroom area along the base. They are 7 and 8 and they loved it, although it wouldn't contain them forever.



Their rooms lead out to the back garden, although this photo is taken from the deck off from the living rooms.


Upstairs is the master bedroom with a beautiful outlook. I really will miss waking up to this view.




Looking from the master bedroom, through the study to the ensuite bathroom. My happiest moment - the light that flooded the bathroom when we replaced the old cedar louvres with frosted glass. Gaining natural light into a home is possibly my favourite design feature. You just can't beat it.



So my last look out the front door...


It's always sad leaving a home isn't it? It's not so much the structure but the memories that we create when we live within those walls. Hopefully we'll create some happy ones in our new home.


All images my own.

8 comments:

  1. The new owners will be so happy at how beautifully you've left it - sparkling! I completely understand the way you're feeling, but just think of all the great new memories to come from your new home. xxx

    PS: your baskets are on their way to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always hard leaving a house because you've made it a home. Now that you've left, soon it will simply resemble a house. But the memories in your heart are forever, and that is what we carry with us!
    Good luck in the new place xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodbye house.
    Hello house.

    We put so much effort into making our homes perfect and then when we move, we realise what made it perfect was actually WHO lived in it. I loved our last home because of the memories, and should we move from this one, I will also treasure the memories (and we didn't even have a secret door!!).

    Looking forward to seeing your new home all done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always get attached to my homes too Annie. But they really are nothing without the people in them and I'm sure you'll become quickly attached to your new home and have many fantastic times there :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Annie:
    Well, the new owners we are sure will be absolutely delighted that they are able to move straight in without a worry. The house is spotless, so different from any house we have ever moved in to.

    The light throughout the house is so wonderful. You are right that this is so important and the views from the bedroom were certainly spectacular.

    We wish you every happiness in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. It is hard to leave homes that you created so many memories in, but there are bigger and better things ahead! Home is where the heart is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind and lovely comments. They all put a smile on my face so thank you.

    Linda...I look forward to seeing my new home all done too - ha ha! Annie x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know when I see a home empty and pristine like that it almost makes me want to become a minimalist.....again!

    Have fun decorating your new abode! May the games begin!!!!!

    ReplyDelete