Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Our Renovation - Playroom

I had a lovely scheme in mind for the girls' playroom. It centred around using the pistachio green fabric of these blinds in this room by designer, Amanda Nisbet...

Blinds - Quadrille Paradise Background in Pistachio

Yes, very pretty and what a fabulous scheme...UNTIL...I went into the house in the weekend and clocked the turquoise tiles on the fireplace that I had totally forgotten about.
Even then, I say fireplace, but it is far, far less desirable than that. A 1970's gas fire, which I think is going to have an accident rendering it useless, but not just yet...
In order to illustrate, I'm going to go against my better judgement and show some photos of the playroom.
This is before, okay...


Isn't that thing U-G-L-Y?

See why green blinds would be a clash? Add a yellow sofa and even more so!

Doors from the hallway to the playroom

Quadrille Fabrics are hand printed, so are usually printed to order with a 1 to 2 month lead time. Sometimes though, there is immediate availability and lucky lucky lucky...this was in stock...

China Seas New Batik in Turquoise New Navy

I LOVE this fabric and have some in Magenta New Navy waiting to make it onto some chairs I am having reupholstered. It is a great design in some beautiful colourways.





Happy Days in Fabricland because this is available too. I think it will make some lovely cushions.

China Seas Nitik II in New Turquoise 

So, back in business for the playroom.

On another renovation note, I met with an architect at the house today.
Now, sorry to anyone who is an architect, but many tend to make me feel like my pockets are drifting down to the ground whilst my arms are shrinking. 
I would have to say that this chap seemed very practical and respectful.
I did feel a sharp pain in my shoulders when he pointed out the 'loggia' two doors down, that he designed.
Let's call it a covered patio and keep the costs down I say. I can always rename it after the bills are paid!


Image 1 via Amanda Nisbet Design; 2 - 4 my own; 5 - 10 via Quadrille Editorial.

9 comments:

  1. Hello Annie:
    We have to confess that the actual fireplace, tiles and surround, we rather like. The gas fire is, of course, a monstrosity and needs to be got rid of now with, if it were our house, an original [or as close to] fire basket, etc. replacing it. We do agree about the turquoise tiles not looking so good with the fabric which you had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie - love your inspiration here - there is so much potential for the playroom! We actually adore the turquoise tiles. Can't wait to see what you do!
    E & M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very nice of you to say as I actually like the surround and tiles but that 'fire' is a horror. The timber on the surround is a mix of two, neither very impressive so I'm having it painted. I know you're probably horrified but I love the tiles and it will make them stand out. The master bedroom has a similar fireplace with the hearth intact and a pink tile surround. Much nicer without the '70's nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie I have to concur with the ladies, I really LOVE the potential of the fireplace and your playroom, capital L! I completely get why you don't like the gas heater but the tiles and surrounds could be OODLES of promise. I can see it with the China Seas New Batik in Turquoise New Navy in a heartbeat. Hope you're having a good week, Nicolex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing projects like this! Will you paint the fireplace white? The turquoise colour tile & that batik fabric will be beautiful! Good luck.Keep the pics coming!
    lovT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tina - yes the surround will be white. I popped over to the house today and the first undercoat has gone on already the tiles just pop. I am so happy with the fabric choice now.
    Also, when I showed Pete the photos we both agreed that that nasty heater has got to go, NOW, even if we're left with a hole in the meantime. I'd prefer the hole. A x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in agreement with most of the others... I love the turquoise tiles, and am pleased you've decided to paint the surrounds white, it'll look great. You could make a feature of the hole left after removing the heater - display something lovely there. Am popping over to Quadrille Fabrics site now, thanks for sharing them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the other ladies Annie, the room is going to look gorgeous once you've jazzed it up. I love the turquoise tiles and that stunning quadrille fabric. Can't wait to see the finished product :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are all so lovely - thank you so much for your kind words. I know houses never look as good empty, but I have been really upset by this place. It wasn't presented in my style, but was a lovely family home. Just what we wanted. It has been a big lesson in what makes a house a home. I am on a mission to make this special for us before we get in there. Thank you. Annie x.

    ReplyDelete