Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I am a Hoarder

I spent some of the weekend flicking through my old design magazines. The plan was to get rid of a few...ahem...moving swiftly along...I discovered two of my favourite homes in the Nov/Dec 2004 issue of Inside Out magazine. Yes...2004. Okay, my name is Annie Loveridge and I am a hoarder, but picture this...


Sorry to those who have seen this New Zealand "bach" (holiday home) a squillion times already, but it struck me how timeless it's simple design is.


It is by Ken Crosson of Crosson Clarke Carnachan Architects, here in Auckland, built as a holiday home for his family. The website states how 'the house was conceived as a container sitting lightly on the land for habitation or the dream of habitation...a simple mechanism to the deck allows the "box" to open up on arrival - providing a stage for living - and to close down on departure - providing protection.'


Quite a 'container' isn't it?


The bach has a fabulous position overlooking the beautiful white sands of Otama Beach on the Coromandel Coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's approximately 3.5 hours drive from Auckland and we pass this bach when we go on holiday to the next bay over, Opito Bay. This part of New Zealand is breathtaking. Neither Otama nor Opito Bay has any shops or distraction from just enjoying being there. The beaches are long stretches of white sand and quite honestly, it's paradise!


The views from here must be extraordinary...



...but none more so than from here...


Imagine!

Happy Melbourne Cup Day to all those celebrating, or looking for a reason to. Cheers!


Images via CCCA except bath from here

4 comments:

  1. Gosh Annie, this is amazing! The views are unbelievable :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Annie:
    We could never ourselves be described as minimalist in any way but, like you, we absolutely love this house, which we have not seen before, and can only imagine how perfect it would be to spend time there. As for a holiday house it is, of course, ideal for the way in which it may be secured. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bach!!! My only problem would be when it was time to leave - just stunning. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again Annie. I gave you a 'shout out' on my blog today, check it out sometime. xxx

    ReplyDelete