Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Ramblings

It is the most glorious spring morning here in Auckland today. The sound of the tuis in the trees is beautiful...not so much at 6am however, so I went for a run. The sunrise was fab-u-lous.


Remember the 60's house that I posted about here?


Well, Pete and I were quite keen on it so went along to the auction last Sunday. Us and another 150 people. It had a CV (valuation) of $1.24m. A man in green socks obviously really wanted it and paid $1.7m for it. Yikes, that's a lot of roubles for a renovation project but sometimes that's the way it rolls.

So, inspired, I looked at another property this week. It's only streets away from our current home and check out these views...




I know...pretty impressive huh? But there's a catch...


It is being advertised as "Worst House...Best Street". Indeed. I am concerned that we might have to factor in the cost of divorce lawyers if we take that one on. But that view...

I went to a fundraiser last night for Bellyful, a local Auckland charity providing meals to families with newborns. We saw the movie, The Help, based on the book by Kathryn Stockett.


Having lived in South Carolina, I do enjoy watching movies set in the South and I loved this one. The homes, the decor and costumes were fabulous. Might have something to do with Nate Berkus being one of the Executive Producers.




I thought the cast was lovely; all beautiful but not too Hollywood perfect. I read David and Margaret's review on the At The Movies website - I may no longer live in Australia but I still follow their reviews online and am pleased to see they had one of their spats here where David says to Margaret 'I said to you I agree with you'. I can picture him saying that in his terse manner!

Anyway, they didn't love it and both gave it 3 (out of 5) stars as they felt it marginalised the real issues. Interesting that virtually all the comments disagreed with them. I usually agree with their reviews but, whilst they have a point, I agree with one of the comments that said "I really think that the loose humour within this film allows the audience to breathe."

Missoni for Target Pop Up Shop is open now, in NY, with the general launch on September 13. Enough said. It won't be seen in NZ as we don't even have a Target...or Ikea, Gap, Zara...


Now, whilst I do not intend to turn this blog into a rugby blog, it is the opening ceremony and game for the Rugby World Cup 2011 in Auckland today. Peter and I are fortunate to be going tonight, with a 3pm start. It's a real celebration for Auckland and New Zealand as much as it is for rugby. What to wear???

Have a lovely weekend and go the All Blacks x.


Image 1 from here; 2 from here; 3, 4 & 5 from here; 6 from here; 7, 8, 9 & 10 from here; 11 from here.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are getting itchy feet?

    Have a fab time at the match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had been thinking about moving but doing nothing about it, and have had a knock at the door with an offer! We don't want to undertake 'the major renovation' with this house so the timing seems right. Just the thought of moving though...

    PS - will be a local move! I don't think I have another big move left in me and I couldn't move the girls out of school...again!

    ReplyDelete