Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A New Zealand Winter


I apologise now as this is a purely selfish post to document my lovely holiday with the girls last week....and to share some New Zealand winter scenes.

I decided to take my 6 and 8 year old skiing and leave the husband at home to watch rugby work. We had an amazing drive down the island to Ohakune and discovered this in next field over from our cabin:


If you look really hard, there is a horse there, promise, and it had one horse mad 8 year old scrambling through something prickly and a river to get to it. Our first night was rather cold, because this happened while we were sleeping.


So Lily checked it out...


...and was informed that something warmer than pyjamas would be good. So she got changed and did this:


Look at the poor horse...


The girls had a lovely time making Frosty the Snowman...


...who looked a bit creepy from the kitchen window...


...and even worse when he melted!

This was the view from our dining table, looking out to Mt Ruapehu. Isn't it perfect?


And a couple more from the back door.



Once the mountain re-opened we were off skiing. Let it never be said my girls don't know how to pose!




We were so lucky with some fabulous weather. It is just glorious being up there on a day like this.




It was a lovely break and wonderful to have such a good, and beautiful, holiday so close to home.

All images my own.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is beautiful Annie! I have missed your blog, it's all a bit of a whirlwind getting the trip organised so I can't wait to sit down with a cuppa and catch up on all your posts before the weekend! Hope you are well, it sure looks like you're having a lovely time, Nicolex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven! Incredible scenery. I cannot believe we left and my kids still haven't seen snow - bad bad parenting... now in Hobart and still no snow! A x

    ReplyDelete