Saturday, August 20, 2011

Escape to the Country

Do you ever think of escaping to the country? We do and I think this would be perfect...


Imagine driving up to this:



Glendower Homestead was originally built in the 1860's from Totara and has been lived in by 5 generations of the same family.

It sits on 10 hectares. That means no neighbours. Except some sheep perhaps.

Imagine welcoming guests into your home from here...I am!


Now the decor isn't my thing but imagine what you could do with these fabulous rooms.



The homestead is on a rural road, sitting 10 minutes' drive between 2 small towns; one of those townships being Martinborough, home of some fabulous NZ wines. How fortunate!

The large kitchen has a good layout...


...and one of the best dishwashing vistas to be had.


This is the type of bedroom I dreamed of as a child. Just magical.


I love the use of light over the staircase. My 6 year old thinks the stag's head is 'freaky'!


How thoughtful...a G&T spot...


...and for larger groups, a decked area, which I believe has a pool nearby. Perfect for those hot, dry Wairarapa summers.


Now, if only there was a nice school at the end of the driveway! I did mention home schooling to the girls but the looks of horror reminded me that patience is not my strong point.

Happy weekend wherever you are x.


All images from here.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Annie:
    Indeed, what a wonderful place to which to make an escape from the chaos which seems to be so much a part of life today. Spacious rooms, interesting furniture and effects and, of course, the magnificent view. But the sheep for company, well.......!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear from you. Am heeding your advice on my dining chairs and having now seen the oak, I can't possibly paint it. It is lovely. Re sheep...they are very special in NZ! 4m people...40m sheep! Oh dear....

    ReplyDelete