Thursday, July 21, 2011

Room For Children

Another book I have been wanting for some time arrived the other day. Susanna Salk's Room for Children (via the Book Depository). 


Oooooh, how I love this book! Very colourful, useful and downright inspirational. It is what I consider to be a 'happy read' and that is always good.

I have other books on children's rooms but they are often too pristine and over designed for what I consider to be practical and realistic. Yes, there's some 'aspirational' rooms in here - for me, the tidiness is somewhat 'aspirational' - but there's also a lot of Ikea shelving and kids' drawing on the walls.




My girls are 6 and 8 and it is time to update their bedrooms, so this book is perfect. Apart from adding as we go, I haven't really 'designed' their bedrooms since they were nurseries. Arabella's room follows a red theme and Lily, pink.

Their rooms are a collection of things accumulated over 8 years, with nothing being dispatched along the way. It is looking like the nursery department of Toys R Us, and it's time for a change.

Arabella (8) still has the Noah's Ark quilt on her bed she was given when we first took her cot down into a bed! I am pretty certain that any new scheme will have to include 'Noah's Ark' and rightly so!

Here's some of my faves I'll be referring to:










Cover image from here; images 2 to 4 scanned from the book; images 5 to 7 from here; 8 & 9 from here; 10 to 12 from here.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely book Annie.I've been doing a few things in Noahs room too now he is 10 he is kind of over a lot of toys(which is great)my main problem is his room is so very small.Thanks for some great inspiration. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book Annie (and not just because I sell it in my store hahah). What you say about it is so right and was just thinking to myself the other day that I think I might make it my signature baby shower gift from here on in. Nicolex

    ReplyDelete