Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Waikiki Edition


I saw the image of this reception area, whilst flicking through the March/April 2011 issue of Vogue Living (Australia)...again, and loved the colours. It's at Honolulu's newest hotel, The Waikiki Edition, and the "collage" of broken surfboards includes donations from the likes of Kelly Slater. Now, even I know who he is!

The hotel is a collaboration between Marriott Hotels and Ian Schrager - the man behind New York's Morgans, Paramount, Royalton and Gramercy Park and The Delano in Miami...how many trends in hotels did The Delano set?!

All guests are provided colourful sarongs and a ukelele in their room - my girls would LOVE it!







With Honolulu and Istanbul open, and Barcelona, Mexico City, Bangkok, South Beach, London due to open soon, it will be interesting to see how Ian Schrager's style works with a big hotel chain, such as Marriott.

I know I could do with a bit of this right now x.




Images all via Edition Hotels.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I just love the surfboard work behind the reception.

    the first Ian Schrager hotel I encountered was the Royalton in NYC, designed by Philippe Starck when I visited the city in 1989.
    The Royalton and before that the Paramount designed by Andre Putman I think were the first in the "boutique designer hotel concept" genre...well he was the man from Studio 54 after all!!!
    Would love to visit Waikiki again and check this one out.
    Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the man harks back to my 'pre children days'. Pete and I stayed at The Paramount and I remember thinking how fab it all was. I also remember the rooms being teeny tiny and Pete asking the girls in the bar why they were all wearing the same (very flimsy) dress..."it's called a uniform, sir". We stayed at the W (Carlisle) next time for obvious reasons!

    ReplyDelete