Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wellington House - Kitchen, Living & Dining


Following on from my personal Before and After on our Mount Victoria (Wellington, NZ) villa that we completed in 2007, I thought I'd post some photos of the kitchen, living and dining area.

We were so happy that the basics of the home were there and we really just needed to effect cosmetic changes to get it right for us.  We felt it was heavy on timber and very dark, considering the home was perfectly north facing. The space was L-shaped with the kitchen in the middle of the family living and dining rooms:

Before - Dining Room to Kitchen and Living 


Before - Kitchen:  totally functional but a bit "country kitchen".

As I mentioned before, we were very fortunate to be able to have the interior painted and re-carpeted throughout and skylights added to the living and dining rooms before moving in.  Skylights are one of my favourite ways to effect change.  I think they are amazing as the way they cast sun and light is priceless.  I loved watching the way the sun moved throughout the year.  Et voila:

Hallway looking to Living Area


Kitchen - loved my Bulthaup-esque timber bar



I had the glass splashback backlit which was fab on dull days (in Wellington???) and evenings.  The extractor fan was custom built into the Australian Blackbutt overhead cabinets, and piped through to the pantry (hidden alongside refrigerator) to expel externally.  Genius, as I'm not a fan of big steel extractors.

Dining Room to Kitchen/Living.  Skylight above the dining table.


Dining Room


Living Room back to Kitchen and Dining Room


Living Room leading out to covered deck area

This space worked really well for us as, at the time our girls we pre-schoolers and we wanted something that was presentable for having our friends around but also worked for the reality of life with kids.  The baskets under the television screen held toys that could be thrown back in at night and the sofa has a washable cover.  It also appears to hold up to building huts, standing on and gymnastics practice!


We had so many family meals at that table and the deck led down to the back garden (a real treat in Mount Victoria):


I loved this house - hence throwing so many photos at you!  I have so many happy memories there so I've really enjoyed putting this post together. Thanks for joining me x.

1 comment: