Saturday, November 20, 2010

Outdoor Room

I have recently had some seating cushions made for our "outdoor room", which was rather unused last summer.....bare timber boards are neither inviting nor comfortable I guess!  

Before...and I wonder why we didn't sit here?




...and after.







I wanted this to be a practical and usable space for our family and friends, whilst showcasing to potential Clients what I am about.  I feel strongly that good design is practical, functional and wholly usable, but looks fabulous too.  I wanted to be able to have our girls' friends over and not to have to worry about tomato sauce and ice cream (well, not on the cushions anyway.....).

I found Rita Konig's (now defunct) blog for the NY Times really helpful and followed a lot of her advice.  To keep the cost down I used Sunbrella Taupe for the squabs and back of the large cushions.  After swearing off all things "brown" I used the Taupe anyway as it is just so practical and neutral.  White would have looked fabulous I think, but, well......

Then, following my love of the Christopher Farr fabrics, and their outdoor (acrylic) collection, I chose the 36 24 36 fabric in Coral.  I had seen this in the Darryl Gordon designed Sydney apartment, mentioned previously, and loved it's vibrancy.




I then threw in some Ravenna in Blue to avoid it looking too "designed".  It also gives us the option to go with just the orange, or blue if we want a change, but at the moment I love the clash of the two colours.

The wonderful Anna from Cushions Unlimited made all the squabs and cushions and her work is impeccable.  She was meticulous in her measurements and alignment of the patterns - I knew we'd get on well!  The result is that the fit is perfect and so comfortable.  It was absolutely worth getting the extra depth Quick Dry Foam, for both comfort and ease of drying off.  A storage ottoman fits all the loose cushions in case it rains in Auckland too...

With all this fabulous weather we've had, the space has been well trialled. Sunday mornings, sun, coffee (thanks Pete) and the newspapers.  I am gearing myself up to invite my 6 year old's classmates and parents around for an EOY Friday drink.  At least the tomato sauce should wash out!



No comments:

Post a Comment